Please join us on January 8th for an evening with Michael Nerney. The event will be held from 6:30pm to 8:30pm in the MHS Auditorium. There is no charge to attend. Michael will share his Risky Business Presentation.
Risky Business: Why Adolescents Love Risk-Taking, and How We Can Help Manage It: 110 mph on the highway, music blaring, open containers, four teens in the car…why do adolescents find drinking alcohol and engaging in high-risk behaviors so attractive? Recent research on the adolescent brain clearly demonstrates that adolescents perceive and process risk assessment in ways that are remarkably unlike adults. Changes in receptor site numbers and sensitivity, neurotransmitter action, and social-emotional responses all combine to influence how teens evaluate risk. In this program, Mr. Nerney will offer new ways to think about and talk about adolescent risk reduction, including access to structured risk taking, and the use of “gist” language. These concepts can be applied across the spectrum of adolescent risky behaviors, including drug and alcohol use, sexual activity, and others.
A Solon Salute to senior Jackson Markow. Jackson was nominated by all three VT national representatives to the US Naval Academy recently. Congratulations Jackson!
|Jackson with Senators Patrick Leahy & Bernie Sanders and Congressman Peter Welch.|
- January 8th: Michael Nerney Parent/Guardian Risky Business Night: 6:30pm to 8:30pm in the MHS Auditorium
- January 9th: Assembly with Michael Nerney & Extended TA
- January 15th: Off for Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- January 19th: End of Marking Period 4
- January 22nd: Off for District In-Service
- January 23rd-26th: Summative Re-Take Week
- Feb. 10th: Ghanaian Cultural Night: 6:30 to 10:00pm
- Feb. 13th: Incoming 9th Grader Parent/Guardian Night, 7pm.
- 2 Hour Delay Schedule (Just in case)