|Photo by Adam Blair|
|Photo by Adam Blair|
|We had an early visit from "The Bandit" on 2/2/18. Thank you! (Photo by Brian Gallagher).|
A Solon Salute and thank you to Eve Taylor, Sharon Boateng, Lucia McCallum, Sadie Chase-Tatko, and Ruby Bryant for braving the cold and giving up their Sunday afternoon to volunteer at Ice on Fire. The Recreation Department is so grateful for your service. (From Ms. McLane).
A Solon Salute to our Scholars' Bowl team. Last Saturday, Jan. 27, Montpelier High School hosted the Scholars' Bowl state semifinals and the Solons successfully defended its small school state title by taking the championship for the second year in a row. The varsity team of Matt Koucky, Graham Janson, Asa Richardson-Skinder, and Anders Shenholm went 5-2 on the day taking the matches they won by wide margins and only losing to Burlington. The championship round featured Graham Janson, Matt Koucky, Henry Valentine, and Julian Stoller and took honors defeating Lamoille and Woodstock. The junior varsity team (Nathan Grutchfield, Hayden Stumpff, Henry Valentine, Cole Bingham, and Clayton Winters) made it through the competition going undefeated at 5-0. Montpelier has two competitions remaining this year, both in March. The first will be the NAQT state championships to be held at Spaulding High School, and, as a result of our success at the recent playoffs, we have qualified for the overall state championship to be held at UVM on March 24. Attached is a photo of the team that won the small school state championship. From left, Julian Stoller, Henry Valentine, Matt Koucky, and Graham Janson. (From Coach Jerry Tillotson).
A Solon Salute to the Debate Team had another excellent performance at the Rutland tournament this past Friday, that was the last tournament of the regular season and was the largest one in terms on teams attending: Angus Fraser and Omeed Fallahi won the overall tournament, Violet Tabacco and Basil Humke placed second and Emily Sheftman and Jackson Markow placed fifth team. Omeed Fallahi placed first overall individual speaker, Basil Humke, third, Jackson Markow fourth place and Angus Fraser seventh place. Additionally, Benjamin Mays entered the forensics competition for the first time with Original Oratory and placed second. Thank you to all teachers and parents for raising such talented and articulate young individuals: it takes a village". (From Coach Marijke Russo).
A Solon Salute to the Student Council for their help before, during, and after the Red Cross Blood Drive on January 31st. Special thanks to: Sarvesh Sharma, Juna Nagel, Luna Pompei, Emma Harter, Apple Tabacco, Evie Caserta, Jackson Markow, Omeed Fallahi, Greg Golonka, Henry Jones, Josh Golonka, Cole Bingham, Jordan Allen-Brandon, and Erin Sullivan. And a Salute to the students and adults who presented to donate: Bret Butler, Rebecca Vanden Bergh, Ada Rohan, Isabel Maine-Torres, Apollonia Tabacco, Brynn Bushey, Emily Sheftman, Lillian Winters, Davor Vukja, Leila Cain, Mary Curran, Autumn Morse, Zachary Taylor, Andrew Scully, Stella Kahn, Simon Moon, Liam Frey, Maggie Barbero-Menzel, Willem Slade, Andrew Schumer, Nancy Fitzgerald and Brian Ricca. (From Mr. Allen).
A Solon Salute to MHS alumni (2011) Amanda Pelkey. Amanda will be playing on the USA Women's Hockey Team during this month's Winter Olympics! Congratulations Amanda, we will be cheering you on! (Link to Team USA).
Join Us for Ghanaian Culture Night!
- 2018-19 School Choice Lottery Letter and Registration Form. Due by 2/26/18.
- Month of February: Black History Month. Led by the Racial Justice Alliance, this February will have a concentrated effort on recognizing implicit biases, privileges, and building equity in our learning community. Assemblies, speakers, movies, discussions, the raising of a Black Lives Matter flag, dedicated curriculum, and more will be taking place this February.
- Feb. 8th: Special Schedule for Debrief/Discussion of The 13th.
- Feb. 10th: Ghanaian Cultural Night: 6:30 to 10:00pm
- Feb. 13th: Incoming 9th Grader Parent/Guardian Night, 7pm.
- February 24th through March 6th: Winter Break
- March 10th: Capital Soccer will bring U.S. Soccer Hall of Famer, Kristine Lilly to Montpelier High School Auditorium (Full Announcement). 7pm, Free to the Public.
- Two Hour Delay Schedule (Just in Case)