Welcome to another great year of learning and growing together at Montpelier High School!
August 25th: We invite you to Thursday night's presentation at 7pm in the library where Mr. McRaith will be presenting on the changes for the upcoming year in regards to proficiency based learning, assessment, and few of the other more significant changes for the 2016-17 school year. We will be joined by a member of the UVM admissions office as well.
|Click on Image to View our Explanatory Handout|
- Personalized and Proficiency-Based Learning at MHS (Long Version Explanation)
- Tufts, Harvard, and 70 other Universities Officially Endorse Proficiency Based Transcripts From High Schools
- MHS Vocabulary Glossary/Resource
- Relevant Resources and References
- 2016-17 Program of Studies
- Principal's Summer Letter
- First Day of School Schedule--Freshmen Orientation/Grade 9
- First Day of School Schedule--Grades 10-12
- Second Day of School Schedule
- 2016-17 Green & White Days-Calendar
- On and Off Campus Privileges and Applications
- 2016-17 MHS Student Handbook
Clean Team, we salute you! As you might imagine, over the course of the summer the building has been as busy as ever. The most central aspect to the hard work that happens in the building during the summer months is with our facilities team. Under the leadership of Tom Allen, the Clean Team, including John, Rob, Bob, Bill, Libby and Tony cleaned everything from top to bottom and took on the below listed projects and then some:
- Replaced carpet, lighting and paint in rooms Ms. Fagin's Room, Ms. Squier's Room, Mr. Chater's Room.
- Helped clean and organize the paint the art room...(p.s. the color is dancing green).
- And with help from volunteers, Ms. Machnik's room was painted, the gym was painted, and the auditorium was painted.
- Installed 3 new drinking fountains with bottle fill stations
- Installed new white boards in selected locations
- Waxed all floors
- Put together and placed some new furniture
- Moved the CBL offices, as well as a few other room re-locations
- Installed some new window shades
- Installed new projectors in selected locations
- New room number and location placards throughout the building
- Helped to install a new phone system
Helped remove rocks (very large!) in the practice field
- Parking lot was line striped and crack sealed
Helped to install new scoreboard (donated item).
- And much much more!
In addition to all of these projects, the Clean Team serves as the primary hosts for the countless activities that take place at MHS throughout the year and summer. Some of this summer's visitors were Circus Smirkus, class reunions, Clay-mation Camp, Young Hacks Camp, Dirt Divas, Soccer Camps, Ultimate Frisbee Camp, at least 11 different full workshop days for MHS faculty groups, and multiple different graduate school courses throughout summer. The short letter to the editor in last Saturday's Times Argus from the class of 1966 accurately describes the professionalism and expertise we enjoy with our unmatched Clean Team. Be sure to thank them as the we start the school year!
Fall Athletics are well under way. Student athletes have been training all summer, and practices with coaches started this week. Go Solons! Athletic Calendar
And I, your principal, Mr. McRaith, had a chance to meet and work with Dr. Martin Seligman this summer during some professional learning in August. Dr. Seligman is regarded as the founder of positive psychology and the author of many books including Flourish, Authentic Happiness, Learned Optimism, The Optimistic Child, Helplessness, and Abnormal Psychology. His book Character Strengths and Virtues: A handbook and classification, was co-authored with Christopher Peterson. I look forward to sharing a few of his insights with our community this year.
We're looking forward to seeing everyone together soon!